Monday, May 7, 2007

Our first date

Who wouldn't want to be friends with us?

The other day we all went to the farmer's market in downtown Wilmington. (It's rather nice, I have to say. Lots of fresh produce.) After we had had our fill, we sat down in front of a cafe where we bought Soen an ice cream. Being an outgoing kid who was quickly getting hopped up on sugar, he started making goofy faces at this couple sitting behind us. And the played along. We started talking to them and they said two things that caught our attention: 1. They just moved here from New York, and 2. They were pregnant. All of a sudden it dawned on us: We could be friends with these people! As we were leaving Michaela said we should get their number, and we both joked about how it was like asking someone out for a date. When we got home she said, "So... how long do we wait to call them?"

This past Saturday we had them over for dinner and had a rather nice time, although afterwards I wondered if we seemed desperate. We did talk their ears off until about 10 when he yawned(probably not a good sign). We said goodbye, closed the door, and Michaela said, "I wonder if they'll call us back?" Yesterday I went to get some coffee at the place where he works and I thought, how embarrassed will I be if I run in to him? He'll probably think I'm stalking him. Thankfully, I escaped unseen. (As far as I know.) Who knew making friends was so stressful?
Tonight we went out for sushi and this kid was walking out of the restaurant past our table. Soen said, "Hi. My name is Soen." And this kid smiled and said, "My name is Ian." And I thought, Man, they make it look so easy.

By the way, Sadie started crawling yesterday. God help us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great. Just wait till your new friends google your names and find this entry in the blog.

Just let Andre and I know if you need a friends reference.

Anonymous said...

Matt and I will also provide a friends reference...for $100. Maybe you can make some swell friends like us in Wilmington!

You've been off of the dating scene for awhile but making adult friends IS just as stressful.

Luckily, you have Soen to pimp for you.

Anonymous said...

Dee Dee says:

Hey those guys are desparate for friends - they come from NY remember - where no one talks to anybody.

The stories about the kids for 4 hours might have been a bit tedious - but once their little one arrives, they will be on the phone begging for guidance!

Remember the pool? Once it opens, and you let Soen pave the way, you will be making lots of friends - just leave those illegal cats at home!

Anonymous said...

i agree with dee dee about the pool. Soen is to married couple looking for friends as a dog is to a single person looking for a date.

You guys are so awesome that I'd be surprised if they didnt call you back :)