Friday, July 6, 2007

Frek

Wife's idea of play time.

As I was driving Soen to the beach the other day he asked me about this one scene in Shrek the Third (or as he calls it, "Frek"). It's a total throwaway scene where Frek is dreaming. But... let me back up three weeks or so when we saw it.

Every time I take Soen to the movies, he does the same thing. He's all excited in the car, all excited when we buy the ticket and go inside. Still excited as he sees the huge posters in the entranceway. But when we hand our tickets to the usher and head down the hall towards the theater, he starts getting scared. "Daddy, I don't want to see a movie." I try calming him down... "I want to go home!" I try some more... "No! I want my Mommy!" Eventually, we reach a compromise where we go inside the theater and stand near the door and inch our way towards the seating area while the previews run. By the time the movie starts, he's forgotten all about his fears and we can go sit down. Literally every time.

Anyway, we saw Frek a few weeks ago and as we were leaving the theater he asked, "Daddy, remember when Frek opened the door? What did he see outside?" I had no idea what he was talking about. "I don't remember, buddy." "No, Daddy, remember, he opened the door and saw... it wasn't a donkey? What was it?" "I don't remember, Soen. I'm sorry." "No, Daddy! Remember... was it a rabbit?" "Yeah, that must have been it." "No, Daddy, it wasn't a rabbit. What was it?" And on and on for the entire car ride home. Throwing out random animals didn't help either: "An elephant?" "No, daddy!" "A republican?" "No, Daddy!" The next morning: "Daddy remember in Frek...?" And the next day. And the next. And even now, three weeks later.

Eventually, I realized it was this dream sequence when Frek is scared about his impending fatherhood. He's imagining babies everywhere, and he opens the door and sees his friend the donkey, but when the donkey turns around, he has a Frek baby face. Understandably, the boy was confused. It's funny how this very quick and insignificant (insignificant to the plot, anyway) image stuck with him more than the rest of the movie. (Reminds me of this one minor scene in the Twilight Zone movie where this girl had no mouth. Freaked me out for days.)

Imagine the focus group. "Williams! Get rid of any scenes where Frek--I mean Shrek--opens any doors. It's freaking kids out." "No doors, got it!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Dee Dee says: stop scaring my grandson! was it rated "G?" If it was, shame on them! It is wasn't, shame on you! I'm still having nightmares after watching "jaws" for the first time - and I was an adult! (or so they told me) Saw Frankenstein in grade school - and still can't think about that movie either - it's the gene pool.

By the way - he waxes refrigerators and does hair - how much does he make an hour?

Anonymous said...

he's still working off his sushi debt. i'm trying to get him to sweep, but to no avail...
mm