Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Potty mouth

Reason number 85 why you don't need toys for your kids.

Not sure exactly when or why it started, but a few weeks ago Soen started peppering his speech with scatological words. Now we're lucky to get a word that's not "poop," "stinky butt," "fart," or some (rather creative) combination. And usually when he starts talking like this, he'll point to his butt, which of course, since he's naked, is exposed for all the world to see. He especially loves to do a little dance where he shakes his money-maker, points to it, and goes off into a rap about stinky poops and the like. This of course draws ire from his parents, and of therefore if all the more attractive to do. It's like he's addicted to saying this stuff. And of course it's hard not to laugh when he's singing the Land of the Lost theme song and substituting every other word with "poopy."

Speaking of rap, I was flipping through the radio with him in the car the other day and happened on a hip-hop station. Normally he doesn't pay too much attention to the radio, but he immediately wanted to hear more of this particular song and he started asking me questions about it. So, it turns out my son likes Eminem. Eager to pursue this line of music I played him some Beastie Boys and Public Enemy--momentarily forgetting that they use words a little more crass than "poopy." Nope. Not interested. I keep trying to get him interested in music more, but he just tunes out. Every once in a while, though something will strike his fancy and I add it to my Soen play list, which is as follows:
-Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
-Little Honda by the Beach Boys
-Bonanza Ska by Carlos Malcolm and his Afro-Jamaican Rhythms
-Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants
-Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by William Shatner*
-Blues X Man by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
-Lose Yourself by Eminem
-and of course, Deck the Halls

* I once tried playing him the Beatles' version of Lucy but he wasn't interested. At first I was taken aback by the very thought that MY son would prefer William Shatner to the Beatles, but still, I had to admire the force of his conviction. Now I've come around to his way of thinking. The Shatner version is way more interesting. Having said that, I'll be interested to see if that comment draws as much mockery as my Santa posting did.

4 comments:

BonnieBlue said...

Sorry Scott. Sometimes being a grown up is not fun. But being a kid is all fun---at least it is to them, most of the time.

Get him into watching musicals. That might be really exciting.

Anonymous said...

Scott: He didn't get interested in letters on your time table either - so I think getting interested in music will just evolve. We all know he's musical, he loves to sing the alaphabet songs and a lot of other things - just not exactly sophisticated in his taste just yet.

You did not develop your deep and abiding love of the fab four until you were a wee bit older than he is now - about 4th grade as I recall - so there's still time.

In my day, my mother and father threatened and often used "soap in the mouth" to remove something I said that offended them - it works - but I don't recommend it - nor did I use it on you.

I think removing a dino from his collection every time he says something like this might just work - at least it's an idea.

Meanwhile - I'm enjoying watching you and Michaela be outwitted by a 4 year old - just as we all were!

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

The crazy part about this is that he is right on time for this stage according to Dr. Freud. I won't go into the details, but for more info you can look at:
http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academic/engl/theory/psychoanalysis/freudmainframe.html

lots of words there I'm sure Soen would love!

Any by the way, I am right there with you on Christmas and other religious holidays. But is sure is hard work fighting the rest of the world on it.

Anonymous said...

Hey-- it cut off the rest of the link:
the last few words after psych are:

oanalysis/freudmainframe.html

I know its outdated, but I still teach it cause, boy, does it make sense!