Monday, April 7, 2008

Paging Dr. Freud...

Sadie bogarting her Nook Nook Bear.

Quick aside about this photo: This bear that Sadie is holding is her most prized possession. She not only sleeps with it (in fact she won't sleep without it--we keep several on hand in case we misplace one) but her favorite thing in the world is to sniff it. It's like she's getting her fix on. Every night we put her in bed, hand her a binky and her nook nook. She puts the binky in her mouth and then sticks the nook nook in between her binky and her nose and inhales deeply. You know that you're "in" with Sadie if she shares her nook nook with you.

Anyway, my entry has nothing to with Sadie and her nook nook. Tonight I was playing soccer with Soen out back and I kept kicking the ball into wife's garden. Every time I did, Soen informed me that Mommy was going to be mad at me. Once, he kicked it into the garden and I said now Mommy was going to be mad at him, to which he said, "No way because Mommy's in love with me." He kicked the ball to me. "I think she's in love with me, too." I kicked it back. He laughed like this was the most ridiculous thing he ever heard. "No Daddy. She's not going to marry you, she's going to marry me." He then kicked the ball past me, which caused the automated soccer goal behind me to click on and say "Goal!" which, in turn, caused my son to say, "I win!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what accompanies the mommy-love, right? That's right, some serious patricidal desires. Luckily, we also learn from SF that in order to live in a society, we learn to channel much of our aggressive instinct into other activities, so that the patricidal wishes may just play themselves out as sublimated into "acceptable" activities like sports. So nailing soccer balls at Dad while fantasizing about mom isn't just normal, its on the way to being ethical.
It's all about the love/hate balance.
We miss you guys. Can't wait for MV.
XO, Steiner

Scott said...

So what you're saying is: If I don't get my son involved in sports, he'll kill me? Sounds like a good slogan for a Tee Ball League.
Scott

Anonymous said...

well one of my roommates at uvm would wrap her blanket around her head like hair when she was studying so it would be at prime sniffing range for the whole time she was studying. apparently there is something amazing about sniffing your blanket i have yet to discover
love, abbi

Anonymous said...

I understand how Soen feels. I was going to marry my dad. My heart was broken when he said he couldn't because he was already married to Mommy. :(

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has missed the fact that this picture of Sadie - with her blankie across her face makes her look exactly like Soen did at that age!

Also, I'm proud to say, Sadie has shared her blanket with me on several occasions - making me among the extremely privileged members of humanity! Not bragging or anything - but when you're in the "in crowd" you are IN!

However, I'm really bummed that Soen doesn't want to marry me! Talk about your "ups and downs"!! He'd be a great catch! - except that probably Papa would object.

I miss those babes! love dee dee

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.