Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


Cute, right? Of course, this is the same creature who, only hours ago, pulled something out of her belly button and ate it.


In case you're wondering how my first week of part-time work went. Well, it was actually quite nice. Right now it's just me and Sadie and we've had some good father-daughter time. Plus. the pool opened up on Monday, so that scored me big points. I do, however, have one... well maybe "complaint" isn't the right word. "Concern" might be better

Now, I know I'm not the first person to comment on this, but it's unbelievable how crazy your child can drive you with the word "why." She's in that phase right now and it's her reply to every single sentence I utter. No exaggeration. I don't remember Soen being this annoying. Did I say "annoying?" I meant "inquisitive." I'm reminded of a bit that the comedian Louis CK does about this very topic. Once the question is asked it's just a downward spiral:
"Sadie put your shoes on."
"Why?"
"So we can go to the store."
"Why?"
"To buy some mulch."
"Why?"
"For our garden."
"Why?..."
And on and on until you finally lose your mind and scream "Because I said so!"

Actually now I just cut right to the "Because I said so" chase the moment the question is asked. It seems to be the only thing that shuts her up. By "shuts her up," of course, I mean, "satisfies her curiosity about the wonders of the world."

Um... so aside from that... I'm digging the whole part-time thing.

Speaking of mulch, have you ever seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Remember the one aunt who was obsessed with Windex? She used it to cure everything... Well, I'm in the middle of overhauling our yard, and I think mulch is my Windex. Every problem I see... I'm pretty sure it can be fixed by mulch. Is that weird?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!

love you anyway - mom

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Julie Andrews started this way? loved the finish! dd